Subject: Argh! (was:Re: IIcx, one step closer...)
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Chris Mason <cmason@nando.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/1996 00:51:53
At 10:14 AM 7/29/96, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> Now, it bombs even _with_ the video card _in_.
>
>I recall reports of 1.9.2 bombing, but not 1.9.3beta.  I'm not even sure
>who put which up...  The booters that I built were built with THINK 4.0
>and 6.0 (although I do have (Academic) CodeWarrior now).

Supposedly 1.9.3 has a virtual memory trap in it that conflicts with some
machines.  I've looked for a later version but can't seem to find it.  Do
you or does anyone else know of one?  Who maintains the booter?

>Which video card do you have?  Can you try to track down where it fails?
>The source for the booter should be available with the binaries...

I have a RasterOps 24stv.  It's worked fine up til now.

I just tried 1.9.1 which boots, but not without the video card.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have the boot log feature so I can't be exactly
sure where its stopping and what error message its giving as it beeps.
Though, I suspect that its found the kernel on the BSD partition, malloced
the memory (I think that's what its doing when it prints out an address and
then the +### +### +###) and then is trying to read environment variables,
and can't find the video card.  Then "BEEP."

Is there a way to get the booter to not look for a video card?  Obviously
the best solution would be to get the video card to cooperate with the
nubus card, which Scott Reynolds has told me he is working on (trying to
load drivers from the card, which I know is major undertaking), but I could
settle with just setting it up as a net box, with out video.

I'm sorry that I'm not very saavy.  I am, however, very willing to learn
and have experience with both unix and the mac.  If there is anything I can
do please let me know.  I'll even write docs.

Thanks so much for great software.

-c

|Christopher Mason - cmason@nyx.net  cmason@nando.net  cmason@cmu.edu |
|"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|