Subject: Re: X Window display server
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1996 22:05:23
At 14:24 Uhr 28.07.1996, Henry Ware wrote:
>Hello,
>
>> - Start your eXodus on the Mac, with the menus, allow to connect without
>>  authorisation.
>
>Note that this is a security risk; its equivalent to doing an "xhost +",
>allowing any machine on the internet access to your X-display.  The curious
>can easily snoop anything you type (and search that for password), and can
>send in keystrokes as well.  If you turn on authorisation, these security
>problems go away... but authorising every connection can be a real pain.

As this is MacBSD, I don't expect to see many of these boxes hooked
permanently to the net, now that even puma has gone offline. (This would
make an interesting piece of information, btw, for the MacBSD user survey.)

Feel free to try hacking my se30 during the fifteen minutes per day it is
on the net through a ppp connection. 8)

With a dial-up account, you usually get a single IP address, which means
that you have to run your MacOS X server through a firewall (TIS or other).
And X11 through a 14k4 line to the outside world -- well...

>Just thought you should know,
>Henry Ware

:-)

	hauke