Subject: Re: Boot from another Mac?
To: Jon Hui <always@hknet.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/29/1996 09:30:56
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Jon Hui wrote:

> I have an LC III running BSD. The machine has 8/160 with 40M partition
> for MacOS. However, I don't have enough space to install X Window. And
> after failing to install X, BSD always reports that the filesystem is
> full. This is not the case before the X installation. Besides, I don't
> know how if there's a command to show how much disk space in the BSD
> partition.

Well, X is pretty big!  But you can always use the `df' command to show
your file systems' status, including free space.

> So now I'm going to reformat the HD and make the entire disk avaliable to
> BSD. And the problem is: how can I boot up the machine? I don't have
> other SCSI device. I know I can boot it up from a floppy, but then how
> can I install X from a floppy? Is it possible to install X and boot up
> the machine from another Mac?

Well, if you manage to create yourself a floppy with the bare-bones
MacOS, and replace the Finder with the NetBSD booter, it might work.  But
you'll be much better of in the long run to get another disk drive or
three!  They're real cheap these days (checking Disk Drive Depot catalog:
DEC 5400 RPM 305MB mechanism = $129, external case $79 extra).

> BTW, is 160M enough to install X Window? TIA.

160M for NetBSD _plus_ X?  very tight squeeze...