Subject: Re: X Window display server
To: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
From: Hauke Fath <saw@sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1996 21:41:32
At 11:11 Uhr 27.07.1996, Jell-O wrote:

>> At 9:16 Uhr 27.07.1996, Paul Carter wrote:
>> >Hello all,
>> >
>> >I have downloaded the eXodus demo and it is works fine when connecting t=
>> >Sun boxes, My question is :-
>> >
>> >Should eXodus for Macintosh work when connected to my NetBSD Mac?
>>
>> YES. You can either run its own window manager or set up xdm and run fvwm=
.

>I've thought about getting a package like this.  Is it really worth the
>money?  How much is it?

I've bought mine second hand for 250 DM (would be around 140-150 US$).
Given that the horsepower of the client machine (MacBSD) is rather limited,
you would not necessarily need the newest and hottest server software.

Apple's MacX has been out there for several years so you may be able to get
an older version cheaply.

My reason for getting an X server was that there is apparently no telnet
client for MacOS that works decently:

o  every window contains a distinct session with separate login
o  NCSA Telnet 2.7xxx is the only client I know of that is able to deal
with changing window sizes, but on the other hand every 2nd window that
comes up has broken tab/ctrl-c/ctrl-g handling and is thus unusable

I use the X server mainly for xterms and rxvts -- internet client apps like
xarchie and chimera are deadly slow compared to their MacOS counterparts,
and X11 resource hack^H^Hndling is /%($=A7&$=A7()!!

As always, YMMV...

>Thanks for the info,
>
>Jon
>wookie@us.net

(I've sent my answer to the list as the topic is new and may be interesting.=
)

	hauke

---