Subject: Re: FPU emulation- required software
To: Alex Roetter <alexr@shore.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1996 20:01:45
On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Alex Roetter wrote:

> i have downloaded
> base11.gz netbsd11.gz etc11.gz games11.gz man11.gz misc11.gz and
> text11.gz, as well as the mac OS tools booter1.8, install1.0 and mkfs.
> i would like to install netbsd on a mac IIsi 5MB ram/80mb hard drive but
> with no FPU.
> i was told that there is a package that will emulate the FPU, but it is
> not included in the 1.1 release.

I wouldn't call it a package, really, but it's really a package plus a new
kernel... _any_ new kernel, practically.

Start by downloading a new kernel.  You're using a IIsi?  You're in luck.
There are three _current_ kernels that should work.  Some ppl only have
one.  I'd recommend the adbtest kernels from Mr. Wittkoski.  For more
info, go to:

http://www.microserve.com/~jpw/adb.html

In order to install that, you need to find a copy of MacGZIP or Stuffit
Expander with Expander Enhancer.  The kernel is gzipped.  You must extract
it in _binary_ mode.  That's in one of the menus on MacGZIP.  Expander
Enhanced Stuffit Expander (or Stuffit Lite?) should be binary mode
regardless.  (As an alternative, you could look on PUMA and pull generic
#7.)

After it's expanded into a kernel file, stick that expanded file into the
same folder as the installer.  Then Launch the installer.  From the file
menu, select mini shell.  Type cpin ADBTEST.139 adbtest.139 (type
the filename twice).  Then mv netbsd netbsd.old, followed by mv
adbtest.139 netbsd.  Jot a note on a piece of paper or whatever's
handy that you're using adbtest #139, just in case something goes wrong.

In addition, you'll need the modified math library.  It's at:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/private/kenn/libm-nomc68881.tar.gz

Download it, then go into the installer, then the mini-shell,

cd usr/lib
quit

It will give you a warning message saying that future installs (until you
quit) will be into /usr/lib.  Ignore this.

Then, select install, and install the libm-nomc68881.tar.gz package
straight into /usr/lib.

Optionally, you can move the old libm into a subdirectory in case you get
an FPU and want the performance boost.  That's a matter of personal
preference, though, plus it's easy enough to extract the old libs from
base11 if you ever want to go back.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |