Subject: Re: Help
To: Jon Hui <always@hknet.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/27/1996 11:38:58
On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Jon Hui wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just donloaded and installed NetBSD 1.1 on my LC III. However, when
> the Install Utility is installing the base11 file, a dialog box appear
> saying Unimplemented Trap and I have to restart my Mac. This happens
> *every* time I install the base11. But installing the other files is OK.
> Can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

Try the following:

1.  Boot without extensions
2.  Increase the amount of memory available to the installer via the get
    info box.

As to why... the base11 package should be the biggest one.  I rather
suspect the installer is just running out of memory.  I haven't heard as
many complaints since installer 1.1 came out, but...

> Besides, the INSTALL file said:
> >Some systems will boot and are usable from an external terminal
> >(serial tty or SL/IP):
> >	LC III
> >	Performa 550
> >	possibly others

Please ignore that portion of the install file.  It's impossible to keep
that up to date.  The instruction portion doesn't need to change, but
support for new systems is added very regularly, so usable systems lists
don't keep particularly current, with the exception of the one on the web.

The LC III is fully supported now, internal video and adb included.
However, you probaly need an adbtest kernel as a bare minimum.  NetBSD11
(the release version) was bug city, first of all, and was released before
the LCIII was supported, I think.  Also, I think that the adb is _only_
supported by the ADBtest kernels and their derivatives.

If you are planning to use an ethernet card, it might take yet another
kernel replacement.  I don't know what the status on that is.

> What is external terminal means? Can I install nd use NetBSD on my LC
> III?

External terminal is a trick that we still have to resort to for a few
systems.  It just means that, with some systems whose adb (keyboard/mouse)
controller chip and on-board video aren't supported, users have to have
another computer or a terminal of some sort, connected to the computer's
serial port.  This group of systems includes the powerbooks, as well as
040-based systems in a _very_ limited sense (no SCSI, no ethernet,
basically ram-based only).

Or is there anyone running NetBSD on an LC III?

Several ppl.

For specific info on adbtest kernels,

go to http://www.microserve.com/~jpw/adb.html

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |