Subject: Powerbook 160: SCSI Bus Timeouts
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jay Adelson <macbsd@adelson.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/25/1996 20:49:50
MacBSD Folk:

After much fun, I've almost got this thing to boot.  I've come a long way.
Now, it seems to have trouble mounting the SCSI drive, though it finds it ok.
I'm still having trouble with Michael Zucca's video test kernal (0.3.3) as
well.

It's true my machine is a bit weird...I had the Digital Eclipse 160 -> 180
upgrade, though my video is the same as a 160.

Here is my serial console boot sequence:

NetBSD 1.2_ALPHA (INTVIDTEST) #11: Tue Jul 23 23:34:31 EDT 1996
    root@tokyo.perkins.rit.edu:/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/INTVIDTEST
Apple Macintosh PowerBook 180  (68030)
real mem = 12582912
avail mem = 9355264
using 179 buffers containing 733184 bytes of memory
mrg: kernel has no ROM vectors for this machine!
adb: no ROM ADB driver in this kernel for this machine
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0 Apple sound chip.
ite0 at obio0 (minimal console)
ncrscsi0 at obio0
scsibus0 at ncrscsi0
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <IBM, WDS280, S3E0> SCSI1 0/direct fixed
sd0: ncrscsi0 : Resetting SCSI-bus (Timeout waiting for phase-change)
ncrscsi0 : Resetting SCSI-bus (Timeout waiting for phase-change)
drive offline
zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0 (console) (raw defaults)
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1 shielding from LocalTalk
fpu0 at obio0 (mc68882)
nubus0 at mainbus0
Changing root device to sd0a.
panic: cannot mount root
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6

Now, mind you, I can mount it with the install utility and hang out in the
mini shell no problem.

Here is the video console boot sequence:

[ preserving 93836 bytes of netbsd symbol table ]
Bootstrapping NetBSD/mac68k.
Getting mapping from MMU.
Begin Video RAM Init.
Figuring out the top of RAM...
Skipping check for physical address of zero.
Figuring the number of ranges...

And that is where it hangs.

Help me out if you can!!  Thanks!

-Jay Adelson