Subject: Can't start NetBSD/mac68k on SE/30
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron Mansheim <a-manshe@runet.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/1996 12:41:36
I can't get NetBSD/mac68k running on my SE/30.
I have 5 Mb RAM, an internal 40 Mb Mac OS drive, and
an external 170 Mb drive I'm reserving for NetBSD.
No fancy hardware or software (except MODE32 and a recent
Disinfectant extension).

I partitioned my 170 Mb external drive, made a file system,
and installed netbsd11, etc11, base11, and secr11 and I
made devices. Then I set the SCSI ID in the booter and
tried booting. The screen blanked and started giving
messages that looked normal to me, although I haven't
used NetBSD before, about what hardware is detected.
Then a message said

building databases...

and after that, nothing happened. I let it sit for several hours.
Because the hard drive access light came on and stayed on,
without any other sign of drive activity, I figure the
system was not running properly. However, I could interrupt
into the debugger and use "step" without seeing any obvious
infinite loop or anything.

So is this normal? If not, what's going on? If so,
how long does it take?

By the way Drive 7 software is not good for creating MacBSD
partitions. It can only create an A/UX root partition of
a fixed size (53MB) and cannot create a root & usr partition.
I gave up and used Apple HD SC Setup.
--
Aaron Mansheim, MS exp '97, Computational Sciences, Radford University
<mailto:a-manshe@runet.edu> <http://www.runet.edu/~a-manshe/>