Subject: Re: ARA tunneling (semi-off-topic question)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/22/1996 20:23:26
In Regards to your letter <v02140b02ae19a91a226b@[137.79.51.141]>:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a unix PPP server (such as
> MacBSD, although I really want to use a Solaris 2.5 machine) to provide
> AppleTalk Remote Access between two MacOS machines running MacPPP?
>
> I believe I can do AppleShare using Netatalk.  Just want to know if that's all.

As far as NetBSD is concerned, I dont know but someone here will probably
answer you.

PPP consists of a link control protocol (LCP) and ? protocols (like IPCP,
IPX control protocol, and AppleTalk control protocol, ...).  I doubt that
NetBSD's PPP implements the other (other than the IP control protocol)
component protocols needed for AppleTalk PPP.  I dont know if the netatalk
package comes with any code to add such capability to a ppp implementation.

Also, as far as i know, Apple has not yet to delivered a PPP version of ARA.

I am also interested in the answer to your question,

Michael L. Kornegay
Internet: mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us