Subject: Re: SCSI driver
To: Arnaud Blanchard <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/21/1996 23:07:41
On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Arnaud Blanchard wrote:

> So what is the difference between this 2 driver ?
> Is ncrsci faster than sbc ??

The ncrscsi driver is the "stock equipment" SCSI driver.  It is somewhat
faster and less CPU-intensive, but on some hardware seems to corrupt
data.  The sbc driver is a Mac-specific front end to the machine
independent NCR 5380 SCSI driver, and currently operates only in a polled
mode that is a bit slower in general, and can be painful with very slow
SCSI devices (like an Archive Viper 150 tape).  However, it doesn't seem
to cause data loss on the devices that ncrscsi has problems with.

I recommend using ncrscsi at this point, _unless_ you have having problems
with data loss.  You'd know if you were, I suspect.

--scott