Subject: Re: NetBsd,FreeBsd,MacBsd help!
To: Curtis Hall <chall01@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/20/1996 12:28:05
On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Curtis Hall wrote:

> ok your guess which is better? netFree or MacBSD?  and say if I get freeBSD
> can I use netbsd software with freebsd?

I think you're mixing metaphors a little.

MacBSD and NetBSD are essentially the same thing -- MacBSD is the
unofficial name for the macintosh port of NetBSD.  FreeBSD, on the other
hand, is not available for Mac and probably never will be.  It's only
available for IBM's and compatibles.

If, on the other hand, you were installing on an IBM, you would probably
find the IBM port of NetBSD to be remarkably similar to FreeBSD, as they
did come from the same original sources, Berkeley Net/2 (according to the
infamous sysadmin handbook here).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |