Subject: Re: Console display problems, and Installer Ideas
To: Joel Klecker <jklecker@pobox.com>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1996 21:35:07
>If I display anything that uses bold or underline(like trying to read a man
>page for instance) the terminal seems to get screwed up(text inverts,
>nothing will work full screen, it won't scroll properly).

This is probably due to an invalid terminal type setting.  When you login
are you prompted for a terminal type??  What terminal type are you using??
There is a default setting defined in the /etc/ttys file that you may want
to double-check.

>I've been using MacPGP quite a bit lately and it occurred to me that the
>NetBSD Installer could use a MacPGP-like approach to replace the
>mini-shell(that is each command in the mini-shell is replaced my a menu
>command that uses dialogs to replace command lines).

While it is possible to do as you want(and would be really nifty), it is just
not high on the priority list right now.  The things that I have agreed to
look at are getting the installer to work with the new file system format
and bundling mkfs functionality with the installer.  Given my current free
time status even those things will probably have to wait another three to four
weeks.

>It could also use a few more commands; mv, cp, and rm come to mind.

Actually, "mv", "rm", and "rmdir" already function in the installer mini-shell.
They aren't all documented in the help menu, though.  If it is not much trouble
I will add "cp".  I believe there was also a request to add recursive funct-
ionality.  This, again, is not a high priority, but it is on the list of things
to do.

> I'd give it a shot myself, but I'd rather not inflict my current level of
>>programming skills on anyone else's machine(don't ask :) ).
Everyone has to start somewhere. :-)

If anyone is curious, the current code for the installer(version 1.1), as well
as the last compiled binary is available on ftp.macbsd.org.  The last release
(my first time to touch the code) includes a fix for the cd/sd confusion that
plagued the original installer as well as the ability to select/install multiple
packages at a time.  If there are any problems or quirks with that release,
please let me know so I can fix them in the next release.

Steve Brown
sbrown@best.com