Subject: New user gets bomb in booter
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Denton Gentry <Denny.Gentry@Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1996 13:39:35
  I am attempting to install NetBSD for the first time. The Booter
  (1.9.2) crashes with an Unimplemented Trap whenever I try to boot.
  The last few messages on the console are:

  sizeof struct exec = 32
  read_bsd_block(): Reading block 1184
  Reading 8192 bytes (16 blocks) from scsi (0, 68168)
  *Magic = NMAGIC (read-only text)
  MID_M68K executable: entry 0x3356

  The I get a Mac Bomb dialog: 'Sorry, a system error occured.
  "Booter 1.9.2" Unimplemented trap'

  I get this same bomb whether booting from the NetBSD partition or
  from the kernel file in MacOS. I've experimented with the Booter's
  Auto-Size RAM option but get the same bomb regardless.
  Since the bomb comes from MacOS I suppose the NetBSD kernel had
  not taken over yet.

  I grabbed the 1.2BETA tarballs from ftp.eskimo.com, along with the
  GENERIC_64 kernel. I used Booter 1.9.2, also grabbed from eskimo.

  The machine is an SE/30 with 8 MB RAM. It has a Quantum disk on SCSI 0
  using HDT 1.6 formatter. It was freshly installed System 7.5 with all
  INITS&cdevs removed save MODE32(7.5) and the Memory cdev.
  I've experimented with restoring some of the other INITs and cdevs
  in case NetBSD expects them to be in the memory map, but I still
  get a bomb. The machines is running in 32 bit mode.

  Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, or something else I can try?