Subject: Re: LocalTalk status?
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/18/1996 10:37:07

> Hi,
>
> What's the status on LocalTalk/AppleTalk?  I have several macs hooked up
> over a LocalTalk network and I thought it would be nice if I could access
> them as well as my printer.

LocalTalk is not supported at present, though it is on the to-do list.
Though it's about #4, and a BIG #4 at that (adding it correctly would
mean adding new device drivers, like a bpf-for-LLAP, and possably adding
AppleTalk support to the kernel).

Note: I just sent out a message asking for some testing regarding LocalTalk.
I want to make clear that we DON'T yet support LocalTalk; I'm working on
making NetBSD not crash if it's hooked up to a LocalTalk net (one
of my original complaints about NetBSD :-)

> Does TCP/IP run on top of AppleTalk or directly on LocalTalk?  I'm a little
> clueless about how the hardware part of LocalTalk works.  Is there another
> IC that handles LocalTalk or is there just the SCC?

On pre Q700 macs, it's just the SCC. That's why Apple used it. Later
computers have some extra (undocumented) hardware added on.

Take care,

Bill