Subject: reserved network numbers (was Re: PPP
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1996 22:16:43
In Regards to your letter <9607162218.AA06580@vali.stanford.edu>:

> knows about the 126.X.X.X addresses (and 126.X.X.X was allotted,
> as I recall, for direct-connected NFS servers; when you have the
> regular net, and an NFS-only ethernet).

RFC 1597 describes a set of network addresses that were reserved
for hosts not connected to the Internet.  I do not know if the
IANA is still following what is described in this RFC.  I do
remember that the topic was considered controversial.

Anyway, it reserved:
  10.0.0.0
  172.16.0.0 - 172.31.0.0
  192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.0

Being lazy, I often use network 10 (10.0.0.0) when I am hooking
up something that I know will not be connected.

Hope this is helpful,

Michael L. Kornegay
Internet: mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us