Subject: Re: I hath defeated Murphy
To: World Scientific Publishing US Office <wspc@MAPLE.NIS.NET>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1996 12:30:16
On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, World Scientific Publishing US Office wrote:

> >Last time I checked, "shutdown -h now" also worked.  Saves having to
> >bring up MacOS just to do a shutdown...
>         Does "halt" do the same as "shutdown -h now"?

According to this nice, heavy Unix Sysadmin handbook.... shutdown -h
simply calls halt, and shutdown -r simply calls reboot.

"True shutdowns" are only supported on some systems.  You'll know if it
fails.  It simply will freeze when the power should go off or the screen
should go to the it is now safe to shut down message.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |