Subject: Re: brwxr-xr-x
To: Josh Hope <scrptwiz@glasscity.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/17/1996 12:42:14
> Wipes everything except the b, so the mode is:
>
> b---------
  ^
  Here's your problem.  These files have been corrupted and now think
that they are block special (i.e. device) files.  You shouldn't have any
devices in /usr/bin/ to the best of my knowledge.  This basically means
you need to do a reinstall of base.tar.gz.

> Also, these files w/ the b have a date of 1926, while the rest of the
> files have a date of 1995...

This is another symptom of rather nasty filesystem corruption.  I've seen
it myself once or twice.

> I'd also like to know if there is any way to get info in and out of
> NetBSD without having to resort to the installer and quit NetBSD.

There are two other ways.  To simply copy stuff into your unix
filesystem, you can use Lawrence Kestleloot's hfs program (available off
of ftp.macbsd.com).  This program will mount an hfs volume and give you a
menu driven interface to it.

The second method, and one which is probably slightly more useful, is to
get a copy of the hfsutils package and compile it.  It allows read/write
access to hfs volumes from NetBSD.  I'm not really sure about the
location of it, but I know that I just put that location in the Info
Sheet this weekend, so check out:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/info

It will probably be in the ported software section, but I can't be sure
at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Later.