Subject: Re: SLIP script, anyone ?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Daniel Bell <dbell@hops.cs.jhu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1996 21:28:21
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Linux, ewwww.
>
> Be careful of dip; it has a security hole when run as su-root. Also,
> under NetBSD/mac68k, the serial ports are tty00 and tty01.

As I understand the security problem in dip, it allows a user to gain
root access if they know how to write a deliberately non-kosher script.
If the machine has no users aside from yourself, this isn't much of a
concern. Also, source code is available for a version of dip that patches
this hole.

Sincerely,

Daniel Bell
linux, netbsd, solaris, freebsd, use them all and like it :)