Subject: Re: SLIP script, anyone ?
To: World Scientific Publishing US Office <wspc@maple.nis.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1996 15:35:03

> At 11:05 AM 7/16/96, SINITSYN@juno.physics.wisc.edu wrote:
> >        Could anyone point me where I can get script for
> >SLIP connection/disconnection ?
> >

> >Dmitry
>
> I use Linux.  There are sample connection scripts in probably all
> published books on Linux.  To disconnect, if you use dip, try:
>         dip -k cua1 (or cua0)

Linux, ewwww.

Be careful of dip; it has a security hole when run as su-root. Also,
under NetBSD/mac68k, the serial ports are tty00 and tty01.

Does it have to be SLIP? Would ppp work? Here at Stanford, the networking
folks only "support" SLIP, but you can (and I do) use ppp; you just have
to post on a news group to get help. I think most modern routers handle
both.

I've got a sample ppp setup in my home directory on puma, ~wrstuden
(or /private/wrstuden). It shows my setup before I got a second
Mac. It should work fine, except possably for modem config strings,
which I really don't understand (beyond ATDT).

Take care,

Bill