Subject: sbc and PB145
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1996 15:01:49
My Powerbook 145 is now hemhorraging.

Okay, so I decide to try the sbc-1 kernel (the one with a patch to let it
work on more systems).  First time I mount, it hoses the fs very badly
and drops into the debugger.  I boot from the EZ135, my backup drive, but
didn't think to remove the sbc kernel from it... and hosed the superblock
backup at 32, and apparently every other superblock backup.  There's a
magic number problem....

If anybody has suggestions as to how to patch things up, there's one file
I'd kinda like to pull out before I reformat and ditch the PB145 in favor
of MkLinux on my 7100.  (The IIsi will still run NetBSD, of course, but
I've about decided the PB is hopeless except for _very_ short term
development work.)

As for testing the sbc kernel on the IIsi, I'm now having second thoughts.
I'll try to download the ncrscsi 1.2 beta tomorrow for the IIsi and
report.

What a week.  First, the IIsi's hard drive starts turning on and off at
will, now the PowerBook....  And MkLinux still freezes solid as soon as
you tell it to boot MkLinux.  Sheesh.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |