Subject: Re: vipw
To: Tesla , Josh Hope <scrptwiz@glasscity.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1996 09:56:29
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Tesla wrote:

> > Can you say "idiot"?
> >
> > Sorry to bug you all with all this small stuff (gotta learn the hard way)

Well, if you managed to do that... I don't suppose you have another login
that you can use (besides root)?  Don't know how yours is set up, but I
think that /sbin or /usr/bin has the reboot command and it's set for
anybody in wheel... maybe.....  If so, you're in luck.

If not, wait 1 minute and let it sync the changes to disk a couple of
times.  Then shut it off and boot single user.  You automatically are root
in single-user without a password unless you changed ttys so that the
console is set insecure.  If you did that... cpout with the installer,
change it, cpin.

Oh yeah, after a cold shutdown like that without booting out of it, you'll
need to run fsck to mark the filesystem as clean before it will let you
mount it.  Just type fsck and answer yes to everything, probably.

As for the EZ135, large writes were (at one time) causing the entire bus
to hang, i.e. an rm -rf /usr/share/man would cause the whole system to
die.  I'll try the sbc driver on _both_ the IIsi and the EZ135 with it, if
I can, today.  Unfortunately, my HD is having problems (stops spinning,
starts back up, I think it's the case), so... wish me luck on all counts.

> Which reminds me... the common command adduser, is it in the standard
> installation?  I've been using vi to manually add users.. not fun.

You'll have to download an adduser script.  It's not part of the dist.
That might be something to add in the final 1.2 -- an "official" adduser
or at least a "semi-official" working one.  Is that in the FAQ yet?  It
comes up often enough. :-)

Hope that answers both questions a little.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |