Subject: Re: vipw
To: Tesla <bi98js42@acs.wooster.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/16/1996 08:27:12
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
 Tesla <bi98js42@acs.wooster.edu> wrote:

 > Which reminds me... the common command adduser, is it in the standard
 > installation?  I've been using vi to manually add users.. not fun.

In NetBSD, adduser(8) is not a command, but more of an example process.
Some might argue that this is a bug.  However, given that account
creation practices and policies can differ substantially from site to
site, a standard, catchall adduser(8) command could be a hard problem.

When I worked at Oregon State University, even systems that supplied such
a command never got to see it used (Sequent's ptx/Admin, HP-UX's SAM, etc.)

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --