Subject: Re: Read-only file system?!
To: Josh Hope <scrptwiz@glasscity.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1996 22:29:49
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Josh Hope wrote:

> Well, I now know who that god of mine is: Murphy.
>
> I booted, then tried to 'vi', but I get an error: Read-only file system.
> I tried mkdir, same thing.

that's not the drive.  That's the way it's mounted.

Type mount -u /
or   mount -a (this mounts everything in fstab)

> Great, so is this the result of me booting off of an EZ? What about the
> guy who said he compiles off an EZ? Certainly he must be able to write to
> it to compile...

Well, I think he said on a 486, which probably uses a different SCSI
driver -- maybe not even SCSI, perhaps IDE.  However, as I understand it,
the sbc generic will work better (not necessarily flawlessly, of course)
on the EZs than the NCRSCSI.  "Your Mileage May Vary" (R) *

Good Luck,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |

* Windoze 95 and "Your Mileage May Vary" are registered trademarks of
MicroSloth.  All Wrongs Reversed.
* "Where Did You Say You Wanted To Go Again?" is a trademark of
MicroSloth.  All Wrongs Recursive.