Subject: Re: THERE IS A GOD!!!!!!!! (NetBSD does boot on a IIsi)
To: Josh Hope <scrptwiz@glasscity.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1996 21:58:50
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Josh Hope wrote:

> I decided to try and boot in 8-bit. Guess what? TOTAL BLISS!
>
> I think I know what happened, tho...
>
> In the monitors control panel, under options, I had it only allocate
> memory to B&W. This is probably what screwed NetBSD up, maybe...

I had forgotten that was even an option on some systems with some versions
of the OS.  Yikes....  If that really is causing problems (such a problem
must be verified, of course), that could be FAQ material.  Either that or
this may be some bizarre quirk with a handful of systems.  Mental note:
download the new booter tomorrow, after fixing the hard drive's power
problem....

Sounds a little like the bizarre IIsi quirk  that only hurt a handful of
the IIsi's, where the non-ADBtest kernels (generic 2 & 7) died after
telling the macos boottime line, but the adbtest ones worked just fine.
At least one other person had the problem, at least one or two didn't,
though.  Weird.

Life's full of quirks....

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |