Subject: Re: Old Mac (SE/30) high speed modem performance?
To: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
From: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1996 18:02:15
I was able to crank my serial port up to 57.6k on my SE/30 on a direct
serial connection to my powerbook. Thus, it was a pure 57.6k, not a
compressed 19.2 or 28.8. I got about 50kbps through it (via ftp, running
pppd & MacPPP on the line), and that's pure data. Once you add in
overhead, I must have been pretty close to 100%.

MacBSD wouldn't let me chose a data rate higher than 57600. Although the
man page claims that you can pick ANY rate (i.e. other thatn common
values like 28800, 38400, etc), pppd would only let me pick the common
values, and the highest it would let me pick was 57600 (or maybe it was
one higher, like 76800). Can anyone comment on this? Is it just a
question of what speeds are defined, or did the implementors stop at that
speed for a more pressing reason?

-1LT Avram Dorfman
HQ USAF Network Management
permanent email address: avram@pobox.com

"Methodological observation of the sociometrical behavior tendencies of
prematurated isolates indicates that a causal relationship exists between
groundward tropism and lachrimatory behavior forms."