Subject: Re: Demand-dial PPP works! ... almost.
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1996 12:39:13

>    Ok, the demand-dial part works fine.  [Thanks Paul!!]  Unfortunately, I
>    appear to have some daemon that is keeping me from dropping my connx &
>    will re-attach if I have dropped my connx.  (at least it's consistent)
>
>    I've tried killing daemons that look possible, sendmail dies when pppd
>    kills the connx.  Root is the only crontab entry and there's nothing in
>    there to do this.  I've been trying to get tcpdump (and the like) to
>    track activity on the interface, lsof to see who has which devices open
>    and I'm stumped.  Anyone see anything (below) that might be the problem
>    with my config?
>
>    Here's the process list:
>
> gumby# ps ax
>   PID TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
>     0 ??  DLs    0:00.10 (swapper)
>     1 ??  IWs    0:00.37 /sbin/init
>     2 ??  DL     0:04.47 (pagedaemon)
>    44 ??  IWs    0:00.20 portmap
>    52 ??  Is     0:02.27 syslogd
>    55 ??  IWs    0:00.37 timed
>    69 ??  Ss     0:04.67 update
>    71 ??  Is     0:01.10 cron
>    75 ??  Ss     0:00.56 routed -q
>    81 ??  IWs    0:00.94 inetd

could it be that routed is using the RIP protocol on the ppp interface,
throwing status packet out every minute or so? I don't know if that
problem exists in MacBSD, but I had to get gated for my sun3. of
course I could never get that working either, but the constant
connection problem might be the same.

		-Ethan