Subject: Re: Demand-dial PPP works! ... almost.
To: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
From: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/15/1996 13:00:21
On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Ethan Gold wrote:

> could it be that routed is using the RIP protocol on the ppp interface,
> throwing status packet out every minute or so? I don't know if that
> problem exists in MacBSD, but I had to get gated for my sun3. of
> course I could never get that working either, but the constant
> connection problem might be the same.

   Nah ... wasn't routed.  I was getting updates every 6.5 minutes or
   so (sometimes it seemed to be every 12.5 minutes, but maybe I was
   missing a cycle).  About 5 minutes after posting that note, I began
   to kill daemons - even pppd.  After knocking off pppd, timed posted
   a complaint about not being able to send information and I'd found
   the culprit.

   No timed, connections drop as expected.  :^)  Thanks for your notes
   though.  This whole process cleaned up another puzzle - updating my
   tarballs to the July 6 version caused the bad-interface-name thing
   in netstat's output to go away.  I now have lo0, ppp0, ae0, etc.

   andrew.  (brennan@allegheny.edu)