Subject: Re: upgrade schedule/suggestions (was Re: 1.2Beta/mac68k snapshot
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1996 21:32:02
On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:58:14 -0500 (CDT)
 "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]" <davagatw@mars.utm.edu> wrote:

 > Hmmm, well, different market, really.  NetBSD will probably never run
 > separately on PowerMacs.  However, I had heard something _waaaaay_ back
 > about possible NetBSD on top of the OSF Mach Microkernel, instead of the
 > Linux server.  That would greatly reduce the likelihood of NetBSD ever
 > running on PowerMacs directly.

Don't be so sure.  Firstly, NetBSD would probably be much easier to port
to the hardware than to the microkernel.

It's reasonable to assume that once a port to any type of PowerPC system
existed, that a port to the PowerMac would be a SMOP, especially if a
reference PowerPC port were written for the "right kind" of PowerPC
platform.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --