Subject: Re: LCIII -- seems to work, but...
To: William Ingle Gillis <will@dircon.co.uk>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1996 22:47:15
> well, i finally gave up on the IIci -- it was a parts-shop-created machine,
> and i think there must have been some un-guessable factor in its creation
> that prevented me from using it as a Unix box.

Sorry to hear that.  Oh well...

> i have gotten my 12 MB LCIII/Performa450 back from a friend who had
> borrowed it, however, and NetBSD *will* boot on this one.  grudginly so, it
> seems.  (sometimes i get an 'unimplemented trap' error -- at least i think
> that's what it was).  but it will boot, nonetheless.

Do you have an FPU on that machine?  Perhaps this is the what's causing
that error.

> still a few problems, though.
> now in the middle of the boot process, i get a dialogue asking for my
> terminal type.  what do i put there?

I use vt100, personally.  There are two ways around this, though.  One is
to edit .profile (or .cshrc) in / which should contain a line like

tset -q

or somesuch.  That is the line which asks for the terminal type.  You can
explicitly set the TERM environment variable instead.

The other way to avoid it is to boot into single user instead of
multi-user.  Although you still might have to change that line in the dot
files if you log in as root.

> also -- which directory is the 1.2beta in?

I think that the GENERIC#7 kernel is essentially 1.2beta.  It's located at:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/

The binaries for 1.2beta can be found at:

ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/
http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

Some additional 1.2beta kernels are also on ftp.netbsd.org in the above
directory.

Later.