Subject: Re: Booting on a IIsi
To: Josh Hope <scrptwiz@glasscity.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1996 18:07:06
On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Josh Hope wrote:

> I am booting off of a EZ drive (but I am pretty sure this would not be a
> problem, since I can install packages, etc. onto it).

I have an EZ135 myself.  It won't work under NetBSD very well.  If you're
though I'm not positive, as I don't think I ever tried booting off of it.
Basically, do much writing to an EZ135 and the whole SCSI bus hangs until
you turn the drive off and back on, causing data loss and the kernel goes
unstable.

That is, of course, unless the sbc driver corrects that.  Anybody?

> I am trying to get base11, but will this solve my problem? (BTW, all the
> listed NetBSD mirrors seem very slow...is it just me?)

I doubt that would fix it, but you never know.  Try putting the kernel in
a MacOS file on another drive.  If that doesn't work, then get the base
package.

BTW, the EZ135 would make an OK root as long as it stays read only and you
have a separate tmp and usr on another drive.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |