Subject: Re: upgrade schedule/suggestions (was Re: 1.2Beta/mac68k snapshot
To: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/1996 17:58:14
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Michael L. Kornegay wrote:

>   o How stable are the snapshot releases of NetBSD (like the 1.2b
>     mentioned above)?

Well, I must confess I'm guilty of using 1.1_ALPHA snapshots with near-1.2
kernels, and am having little trouble at all.  Since it is a beta, though,
"your mileage may vary" (tm)

>   o NetBSD sounds and looks like a real nice solution for the 68K
>     Macs.  What is the outlook for NetBSD given Apple's work on
>     MkLinux for the PPC?

Hmmm, well, different market, really.  NetBSD will probably never run
separately on PowerMacs.  However, I had heard something _waaaaay_ back
about possible NetBSD on top of the OSF Mach Microkernel, instead of the
Linux server.  That would greatly reduce the likelihood of NetBSD ever
running on PowerMacs directly.

MkLinux will probably never run on the mac68k machines, either.  MkLinux
used a lot of NetBSD code, as I understand it, and I'm sure the reverse
will be true more and more as time passes.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |