Subject: Re: ncr(4), scsi(4) docs?
To: None <david@mono.org, sihde@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Phil Budne <budd@cs.bu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/1996 14:50:44
On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Steve Ihde wrote:
> > I've become interested in writing a scsi device driver for this
> > Cabletron SCSI-Ethernet box I have...
>
> I believe someone on port-pc532 is working on a similar if not the
> same scsi/ethernet adaptor.  Hopefully someone on
> port-pc532@netbsd.org will have more info on this :)

That would be me.  I have a Cabletron EA412 (SCSI/10bT).  I have a
program "etherd" working in a limited fashion (I can telnet in, and
ftp files from NetBSD) using the "uk" and "tun" drivers.

The Cabletron documentation was useful for starters, but I had to
dissassemble the Z80 code to get protocol filtering (necessary for
non-promisuous reception) working.  I'm still having problems, and I
just found the Mac drivers yesterday and was starting to think about
decoding the ".ENET0" DRVR resource, but I'm no Mac wizard (Macbug is
not my friend), so I'd be happy to have some help!

The product seems old (the latest firmware is dated June 1993), so I
haven't even tried contacting Cabletron support to see if anyone can
help.  Anyone have any inside contacts there?

I also tried my hand at finding a friendly vendor with a SCSI/ether
box that's still sold (I used to work in the Mac arena (I was father
of the FastPath 5)), but no luck, yet at least...

I'm writing documentation, and cleaning up my code right now, so stay
tuned...

-phil