Subject: Re: upgrade schedule/suggestions (was Re: 1.2Beta/mac68k snapshot
To: Michael L. Kornegay <mlk@mlksys.atl.ga.us>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/11/1996 22:23:19
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Michael L. Kornegay wrote:

> > It's not a bad idea to start from the GENERIC config and pare it down.
>
> Its been quite a while since I have done this sort of thing.  Remind me
> how this works.  I think the config is basicly a *link*? of the kernel,
> or is it a compile of some files and then a link?

Actually, a compile of a whole lotta files (apologies to Pete Puma) and a
link.  For example, you might do this:

	cd /sys/arch/mac68k/conf
	cp GENERIC MOOF
	vi MOOF  (config the kernel the way you like)
	config MOOF
	cd ../compile/MOOF
	make depend && make

When that's done, you'll have a new "netbsd" kernel that you can then copy
to (after moving the old one out of the way for safekeeping, of course).

> What portions of the source and development trees would I have to install
> to do this?
> - hopefully only a portion of the source tree?

If you use SUP, you can just grab the "ksrc" release.  This is more than
you need, though, so you could conceivably just grab the "ksrc-common" and
"ksrc-mac68k" releases.

> What is the guess of the imminent availability date for version 1.2?

I am not a representative of the release engineer, but it seems to me that
it's the same BSD story as from days of yore:  "we will release no
operating system before its time."

--scott