Subject: Re: Network Configuration
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1996 20:04:35
Johan wrote:

>> 2. Is it possible to connect an ordinary Mac through the serial port, and
>then
>> use telnet to connect to my BSD-mac?

and Colin responded:

>Telnet isn't necessary.  Just use a terminal program like Zterm or
>Kermit.  Of course, you need a getty running on the port in question.

To which I'd add:

Since you're talking about using an ordinary Mac to connect to the MacBSD
system I'd recommend taking a look at MacLayers.  It's a serial
communication program like Zterm that is designed to work with UNIX
hosts.  If you install the Server side of the program on your MacBSD
system you'll be able to open multiple sessions over that single serial
line. It also runs just fine on Systems as old as 6.0.7.  I run it off of
a single 800K System floppy on my MacPlus (try that with Zterm!).  As an
added bonus it supports many Telnet-like options and even provides a
simple solution for the Escape key on older keyboards making it possible
to handle "vi" edits.

-bob