Subject: Re: Network Configuration
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1996 23:06:45

>> Hi all!

howdy

>> 1. How do I set up the network, I mean like setting the host name and that
>> stuff!
>> I'm a bit of bored of the name myname.my.domain!

cool

>Look in /etc/rc.tcp (I think that's the file). It sets everything up,
>and you just need to fill in the datafiles it wants.
>
>> 2. Is it possible to connect an ordinary Mac through the serial port,
>>and then
>> use telnet to connect to my BSD-mac?
>
>Use telnet? Do you just want to log onto the mac, or do you want to
>run slip/ppp over the serial line? To just log in, turn on the getty
>in /etc/ttys for the port you hook up.
>
>Setting ppp up would be a bit more complicated.

namely, choise yourself 2 extra host/interface names in /etc/hosts..
like BSD-mac.my.domain and Mac.my.domain with whatever IP-nr.

next, vipw and add a user that doesn't start csh (shell~dos-promt~finder) but
pppd (the ppp daemon).
you can:
find . -name 'pppd' -exec ls -l {} ";"
if you need the path (in wich folder, in wich folder, ...).

then, mkdir /etc/ppp if it doesn't exist.
and finally vi /etc/ppp/options..
type in (i):
BSD-mac.my.domain:Mac.my.domain

i suppose you know how to setup the mac side &
my spelling is bad.

Let us hear the results!
(hope i didn't forget anything)
~n