Subject: Re: Network Configuration
To: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1996 10:19:10
> 1. How do I set up the network, I mean like setting the host name and that
> stuff!

The hostname is set in a file called myname.  Set it to whatever you want
(just don't include the domain name).  The domain name is set in
/etc/mydomain, and your gateway, if you know it, is set in /etc/mygate.

For further configuration, I'd have to know what kind of network
connection you have.  However, if you take a look at /etc/netstart, it
will get you started.  Also, section 5 of the man pages covers most of
the files in the /etc directory, so you'll want to read up on those.

> 2. Is it possible to connect an ordinary Mac through the serial port, and then
> use telnet to connect to my BSD-mac?

Telnet isn't necessary.  Just use a terminal program like Zterm or
Kermit.  Of course, you need a getty running on the port in question.

> 3. Is it someway to change the keyboard layout when in shell-mode?

Check out the dt utility, available on ftp.macbsd.com.  It support
multiple keyboard layouts.

Also, in X, you can of course set up the keyboard any way you like using
xmodmap.

Later.