Subject: (problem solved!) Re: Help - can't access my partitions!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/1996 08:28:02
(forgive me if I just accidentally mailed a copy of this message to the
list with no content - I think I did)

Problem solved. Just in case I wasn't the only one on this mailing list
naieve enough to have this misunderstanding, let me explain why my MacBSD
machine "suddenly and arbitrarily" failed to boot and wouldn't let me get
to my disk...

I used to have three SCSI disks, an internal (ID 0), and two externals,
(ID 1 & 2 respectively). #2 was my MacBSD disk. I removed drive 1 (id1) from
the chain - that was the key. Apparently, with the exception of the
booter MacBSD pays no attention to SCSI ID. From what people have told
me, it starts finding drives at the "near end" of the SCSI chain, and
labels them sd0, sd1, etc in the order that it finds them, regardless of
SCSI ID.

So, when you move a drive, you have to change your fstab to indicate the
new device name.

-1LT Avram Dorfman
HQ USAF Network Management
permanent email address: avram@pobox.com

"Methodological observation of the sociometrical behavior tendencies of
prematurated isolates indicates that a causal relationship exists between
groundward tropism and lachrimatory behavior forms."