Subject: Re: netbsd and stylewriter printer
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
From: Nathaniel D. Daw <ndd2@columbia.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/09/1996 21:41:38
On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Monroe Williams wrote:

> I have written a NetBSD driver for the original StyleWriter.

I'd love to play with it.

> (I didn't use the ghostscript framework because I couldn't figure out
> how to enable two- way communication with the printer

I think that may not be possible with Ghostscript, as a matter of fact.

> The original StyleWriter expects the serial port to run at 57600,
> N-8-1, _no_ hardware or software flow control.

Do you know anything about cabling? I have a suspicion that Mac printer
cables are nulled out (because if you connect one between two Macs you can
have a two-mac AppleTalk network.) I'm trying to use a Mac modem cable +
gender changer to connect the printer to my PC, but I haven't yet figured
out if anything is getting through.  Will adding a null modem to the mix
help?

> Hmm...  Do you know which particular model(s) work with the bubblejet
> drivers?  Also, do you know if documents describing the bubblejet
> protocols are available online?

I have to check for sure, but I think the ghostscript documentation says
that "Apple printers like the stylewriter 2x00" work with the bjc600
driver. You might pick up the Ghostscript source; some of the canon
drivers are fairly commented and one of them has some notes as well.~

..nathaniel daw............................................ndd2@columbia.edu..
 ..."ok" soda may be the preferred drink of other people, such as yourself...