Subject: Re: PowerBook 520
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1996 17:25:18
On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

.. >     I have a PowerBook 520 (68LC040 - no FPU) @ 25 MHz with an internal

.. > (mount, ps, etc...) generate an "Illegal Instruction" error and exit
..
.. Since you are getting illegal instruction errors, it sounds like you are
.. having trouble with a lack of an fpu.  If getting an fpu is not an
.. option, you should at least get the fpuless math library that Ken Nakata
.. compiled.  I'm not entirely sure where it is, but its location is listed
.. in the faq.  This will probably eliminate most of the illegal instruction
.. errors you are getting.

I tried to get (and use) libm-no68881 (or whatever its name is).

The problem seems to be more complex than that because of the programs
in /bin, only ps is linked with libm.

I tried to install the 68881-less libm on my Mac IIcx running NetBSD
1.2_BETA and then build all the programs in /bin. No success: when
transferring both the new /bin programs and libm.so to the PB520, I still
get the illegal instruction errors.

I even tried to compile with gcc -msoft-float, but then the compiler
generates calls to functions that I don't have.

A funny observation: the echo command seems to work with no parameters
and when called as 'echo *', but not when called with a single string
parameter 'echo "something"'.

Any advice and suggestions are welcomed

Erik Bertelsen