Subject: Re: PowerBook 520
To: Aaron F Godfrey <ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/06/1996 00:55:28
>     I have a PowerBook 520 (68LC040 - no FPU) @ 25 MHz with an internal
> IBM 170 MB hard drive and externally, a Sanyo CD-ROM, SyQuest EZ135 and
> Quantum Lightning 730.  I have NetBSD latest tarballs of binaries
> installed and the latest PB 550 test kernel.  When I boot, it boots into
> single user very well.  The problem is that very few commands seem to
> work, especially ones that are useful.  So far, everything except "cat"
> (mount, ps, etc...) generate an "Illegal Instruction" error and exit
> back to the shell.  I have an installation that splits root and usr.
> Should I try combining the root & usr partitions?

Since you are getting illegal instruction errors, it sounds like you are
having trouble with a lack of an fpu.  If getting an fpu is not an
option, you should at least get the fpuless math library that Ken Nakata
compiled.  I'm not entirely sure where it is, but its location is listed
in the faq.  This will probably eliminate most of the illegal instruction
errors you are getting.

I hope this helps some.

Later.