Subject: Re: Mac Q 610.....
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1996 11:26:14
>On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Phil Nasadowski wrote:
>
>>  Has anyone got lucky and gotten NetBSD to work on a Quadra 610???
>
>No amount of luck will help, as at present there is no support for the
>SCSI controller on the Q610, and on-board Ethernet support is rather
>unhappy at the moment.

Agreed.  It is possible to boot on a miniroot, but that only provides
minimal functionality.

>> And I foun d you have to be in B&W mode to get ANYTHING to come up on
>> screen...
This is odd.  I have no problems with booting in color mode.  It still
will not get past the "ARGHH?? No boot device" message that shows up
because of no support for the ncr53c96 SCSI chip.  I think Steve Allen
and possibly others have been successful in booting from a miniroot.
I have not had a chance to really try it yet.

What video mode are you in when you boot?? Thousands of colors mode
will definitely not work(or at least hasn't for me), but 256 color mode
should be no problem.

Also, what kernel are you using?? The best luck I have had was with the
"adbtest" kernels that John Wittkoski made.  The latest I know of is
ADBTEST.139.

Please keep waiting.  NetBSD/Mac is still a work-in-progress and I have
faith that eventually everything will work on the Q610.

Steve Brown