Subject: Re: Help!
To: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
From: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/04/1996 19:31:35
>Hi folks!
>
>I tried to follow the Install notes, but it doesn't match it:

They should be accurate enough, although a wee bit old.

>First I partioned the harddisk: 10MB HFS (Sytem 7.1), 64MB Swap, 139 MB
>Root/User
>I did run the mkfs and formatted the Root/User partion without any errors
>I did install of the binaries without any errors.

And you remembered to "Build devices" from the installer progrm, after
installing the tar archives, right?

>But when I booted NetBSD I didn't see a login prompt, where I was supposed to
>login as root?

Well, if you had "Single user" checked in the booter, you'll end up in, ..
Single user.. :-)
Simply type 'logout' to exit from there and go to multiuser. You should get
a login prompt there. You can login as root, no password is required.

>And when I tried to install the X-package, the kernel shouted "Panic!"?

What else did it say? "Panic" is a bit like MacOS's System Bomb; it's not
really worth anything unless you can tell what caused it.
I would guess that you are using the kernel from the 1.1 distribution.
Delete it and get a newer kernel from
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs
Get the newsest GENERIC one.
You install the kernel by choosing "Mini shell" from the MacOS installer
program, and typing:  cpin My_harddisk:netbsd.generic /netbsd
or whereever you keep the kernel.
If the kernel was in tar.gz format you can install it just like the old kernel.
If you have to gunzip the kernel from MacOS, don't forget to turn off
MacOS<->Unix linefeed translation.

>So if someone can please tell me what to do to make my configuration work I'll
>be very happy!

I hope this works :-)

Best regards,
Thomas