Subject: News! pds color+ethernet for SE/30!!!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/1996 14:34:06
This is only half MacBSD related...

Just wanted to let everyone know (who cares) that I have successfully run
a PDS ethernet card simultaneously with a PDS video card in an SE/30!

I think we all have the same ethernet card - it's the Asante MacCon 30
(or something like that). It has a pass through PDS slot at the opposite
end from the PDS connector. This slot was specifically designed to work
in a IIsi with the Radius Pivot II video card.

Well, I plugged my Xceed MacroColor 30HR into the pass through slot. The
first time I did this, the video card didn't do anything. But the manual
said that you can switch the two jumpers on the Ethernet card and they
select between four different address ranges that the card will work on.

I did it, and I'll be damned if I wasn't running an SE/30 with 24 bit
color on an external monitor while sharing files accross ethernet with my
PowerBook!

There's a big catch though: the pass through PDS slot points at right
angles to the card it self, i.e. the video card is parallel to the
motherboard, about 2 inches about it. Translation: it would have to go
right through the floppy & hard drives, and about 1/2 inch into the power
supply. I had the motherboard hanging out of the back of my opened SE/30,
being supported by the internal video cable, with the SCSI ribbon twisted
upside down to connect.

So, all we need to make this a reality is a PDS connector that is shaped
like this:

 #                                    .  |#
 |-   to go in to the ether card      .  |
 _|   which is shaped like this:      .  |
 _|                                   .  |

                                        |-|

Because there is plenty of room beside the monitor tube for the video card.
Does anyone know how hard it would be to make one of these? I assume that
having a ribbon cable between a male and female PDS connector wouldn't provide
good enough signal quality, thoughts? Also, is it even possible to find a pds
connector without cannibalizing hardware?

Now to the MacBSD questions: If I change the address used by the Asante ethernet card, will MacBSD still recognize it? Automatically? With a recompile? Finally,has anyone gotten Color X working with the Xceed video card in the first place?

-1LT Avram Dorfman
HQ USAF Network Management
permanent email address: avram@pobox.com

"Methodological observation of the sociometrical behavior tendencies of
prematurated isolates indicates that a causal relationship exists between
groundward tropism and lachrimatory behavior forms."