Subject: Re: modem setup & temp. signoff & minor queries
To: Stefan Schmiedl <101321.3101@compuserve.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1996 09:45:23
On 1 Jul 1996, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

.. More or less for fun I scanned the pppd-manpage and tried
.. something like 'pppd ... connect "chat -f chatscript"' --
.. and don't you believe it, click, beep, beep, the confusticated
.. thing started to dial, and as far as I see, connected
.. with my Compu$erve node in Nuremberg.
.. Comparing the time until modem hangup with the times used on the
.. Mac side I would say, it got to somewhere like 'ppp phase: Establishment'.
..
.. So, now that the dark clouds of desperation seem to disappear,
.. what specifically would I have to do to successfully ppp-connect?
.. I will try to compile Mosaic or else use lynx, unless somebody points
.. me to the "optimal web browser".
A few remarks:

Watch the log messages (in /var/log/messages as far as I recall) to see
whether or not the PPP session is completed correctly.

Use a command like telnet or ping if you just want to check that you can
actually use the PPP connection to communicate with the rest of the world.

To install lynx from source text is a minor task, but to compile Mosaic
is more complicated as we don't normally have Motif on NetBSD systems,
but Lesstif may do it -- have anybody actuall built Mosaic w/ Lesstif?

regards
Erik Bertelsen