Subject: Documentation for the Apple Sound Chip?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1996 00:08:27
Well, I'd like to have my IIvx going Beep(!) instead of click, so I've been
having a look asc.c.

Stangely enough the code crashed in mysterious ways when I compile it under
MacOS. Preventing the code from accessing addresses 1024 bytes above
ASCBase allows to code to get a little further, but it still crashes
*grumble*

I haven't been able to find as much as one line of documentation on what
the Apple Sound Chip does. When I look at the developer notes for the IIvx
it says that the circuitry is the same as that found on the Mac LC, which
is of course not documented on my editions of the Developer CD ROMs :)

So, does anyone have pointers to sources of documentation? Who wrote the
original code? Did anyone ever get a decent beep out of a IIvx?

I'm trying to make sense out of a disassembly of the .Sound  driver, but
it's pretty hard without knowing what's going on at what addresses...

Best regards,
Thomas

--
| Thomas Bjorn Andersen, bjorn@daimi.aau.dk                  |