Subject: Re: modem setup & temp. signoff & minor queries
To: Stefan Schmiedl <101321.3101@compuserve.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1996 22:25:44
> So, now that the dark clouds of desperation seem to disappear,
> what specifically would I have to do to successfully ppp-connect?
> I will try to compile Mosaic or else use lynx, unless somebody points
> me to the "optimal web browser".

There's a ppp kit in my home directory on puma. ftp to ftp.macbsd.com,
and cd /private/wrstuden. Then get ppp.setup.tgz (in binary mode).
This gziped tar file containes some sample scripts. Note: Modem init
strings are left as an exercize to the reader! Theserr files work for
me, and show the general idea of what to do.

Some folks were going to write up some additions to the (write a?) FAQ,
but I've heard nothing lately.

> Second question, does anyone know how to connect to the plain ascii
> interface of Compu$erve? Would I have to use something like kermit
> or some terminal program? Where could I obtain those?
> The reason here is that the folks still do not provide a pop mail server,
> I could use for reading my mail from outside.

Try 'tip', a program included in the distribution. /etc/remote is the file
to configure the modem. Don't try 'cu'; I've never gotten it to work.

> Third question, I am going away for two weeks and during my last absence,
> the mailing list flooded my mailbox, which has a limit of *100* letters!!
> What do I have to do to temporarily sign off this list?

Since subscription is automatic, just unsubscribe & resubscribe. EMail to
majordomo@netbsd.org, and you'll be set.

Take care,

Bill