Subject: Re: Swap on other harddisk?
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1996 17:20:08
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:

> I take it there's no swap or swapon command.  Why doesn't the kernel read
> the fstab file and use all the partitions that are swap swap sw?

There is a swapon command; it reads the fstab file; however, the kernel
will not recognize arbitrary swap devices.  The reason is quite simple,
actually -- the code to do this has never been written.  The fix is
non-trivial, unfortunately.

I believe that I may have overstated my case, though, I'll have to admit.
What I said is certainly true for "generic swap" kernels, but for custom
kernels, you may indeed be able to configure root on one disk and swap on
another.  I've only got one disk. :-/

--scott