Subject: Re: No response on some commands
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1996 14:12:49
> Ironic that you would mention that.  A few days ago, I decided to fsck -f,
> even though the system said the partition was clean.  It was a mess.  This
> was, of course, after I found several files' inodes creamed with the s and
> an L somewhere in the permissions.  A couple of days later (yesterday),
> the same thing happened.  I have pulled all my files out of the UFS
> partition and am going to redo the mkfs, but....
>
> Any suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening?  It seems to
> only occur when the machine has been up in multi-user mode for several
> hours and is then rebooted normally.
>
> Several other flaky corruptions (vi and sh and libcrypt internal damage,
> catalog appeared fine) have happened in the last couple of weeks.
>
> Does that sound like a minor glitch in the fs just escalating and
> reappearing?  Will a mkfs clean that up or should I recreate the
> partition, too?

Actually this is what would happen to me all the time when the hard drive
would lock up due to problems with the scsi driver.  I haven't had a
chance to try the new driver yet, though, so maybe this problem will go
away then.  I usually keep a copy of the most recent base tarball around
so that I can quickly reinstall corrupted binaries whenever this happens.

Later.