Subject: Re: No response on some commands
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1996 14:03:37
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Colin Wood wrote:
> containing the commands that you want to run.  If the first character on
> the line is something like an 's' or an 'r', then you have some
> filesystem damage.

Ironic that you would mention that.  A few days ago, I decided to fsck -f,
even though the system said the partition was clean.  It was a mess.  This
was, of course, after I found several files' inodes creamed with the s and
an L somewhere in the permissions.  A couple of days later (yesterday),
the same thing happened.  I have pulled all my files out of the UFS
partition and am going to redo the mkfs, but....

Any suggestions as to how to prevent this from happening?  It seems to
only occur when the machine has been up in multi-user mode for several
hours and is then rebooted normally.

Several other flaky corruptions (vi and sh and libcrypt internal damage,
catalog appeared fine) have happened in the last couple of weeks.

Does that sound like a minor glitch in the fs just escalating and
reappearing?  Will a mkfs clean that up or should I recreate the
partition, too?

Ideas, anyone?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |