Subject: Re: Swap on other harddisk?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1996 14:18:32
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> Currently, the kernel expects to see swap on the same device as the root
> partition.  You can have swap on other drives as well, with a custom
> kernel, but you _must_ put at least a nominal swap partition on the
> external 250MB disk.

I take it there's no swap or swapon command.  Why doesn't the kernel read
the fstab file and use all the partitions that are swap swap sw?

Since the drive is (or should be) a lot slower than the SCSI bus, it would
be preferrable to have swap on another drive, grudgingly allowing it on
the same drive, instead of the other way around.  Are there any kernels
floating around out there that do this?  I've been considering taking my
PowerBook's internal 40 meg drive and converting it.  (Wish me luck
finding pinouts for it, though).

Ideas?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |